Borrowing Photographs About me elsewhere Lovelies Goldberry Artisans

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Cliche thoughts


At the close of the year, I have the same cliche thoughts as everyone else:

"This year sure has flown by!"

"There is so much I should have done or wanted to do but didn't."

"Time seems to go by faster the older I get."

At first, I feel as if I need to have some tidbits of unique wisdom or witty remarks about starting 2015 with a bang, but then I stop and realize that there's a reason these thoughts are cliche. It's because they are true. While not all cliches are true, there is a reason that most become benal and overused, and it is because they express feelings that many people have. So, it's okay to have these feelings. If you are having these same thoughts, you're not alone. It's okay to have these cliche thoughts as long as all of your actions that follow are your own and you are not setting certain goals and nurturing particular dreams just because they are cliche and "everyone else" has them.

I've been thinking. God gives everyone the same amount of time every year, every month, every day; no one gets any more than anyone else. It moves past us all at the same rate. I can see the changes time brings but I cannot stop it from moving any more than I can see the wind. All I and anyone else can do is to make the most out of my time. Another trite saying, I know, but still true. It seems as if some people have extra time to do all of these amazing things, but really they just manage their time well enough to get those things done. I know I need to work on that.

Being away at college has taught me to value the people in my life more than ever and to cherish the time I have with them. Having big dreams and lofty goals is good and even necessary, but I cannot get so caught up in those big things that I lose sight of the small things that are right in front of me. 

Now, I would love to hear from you:
What are your thoughts on new year's resolutions? If you have any, what are they?
What are some cliche sayings you never want to hear again? Why?
What are some of your big dreams for your life?

2 comments:

  1. I never really thought about it before this post, but time is one of humanity's only level playing fields. We all have the same amount, yet people seem to have varying capacities as far as how much they do with their time. Interesting thoughts, and you are right. Even if we feel the same way each year, our feelings are true. New beginnings are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been one for resolutions, but this year, I resolved, if you will, to making memories and creating goals for creating community in my life. As I am sure you relate, it's great to have a social network of friends that one can connect with on the world wide web, but I don't want to neglect those who live and move about in my real life (vs. electronic communication). I know you posted an article about leaving phones behind when coming to gather with family and loved ones and that's an area that I want to be tested and challenged on in first being around other real people and allowing myself to take a break from the virtual world in that moment. Generally speaking, the virtual world isn't crashing and burning as I take the time to have a good cup of tea with a friend, so I need to trust God with those moments and live life in this moment. Sorry for the ramble, but thank you for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and brightening my day with a little bit of sunshine!